August 20, 2011

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I know, I know. I'm twenty two but I don't think I'll ever really feel like I'm grown up. Geez, I can make few life decisions without calling up mom (for the emotional decisions) or dad (for the financial decisions). I am proud to say that since graduating this year I am four hours away from home and financially-definitely not mentally, that's a joke-independent! In that sense I'm grown up, yes. But in other ways, like finding my life-long career goals, I sometimes feel like I have a long way to go. Do you feel that way?


When asked what I wanted to be when starting college I just replied "not sure, some type of business or design and I definitely want to be in charge." Somedays I feel like I've come so far and know the EXACT skills I want to use every day but other days I feel like the world is so so big with so many career paths I may love even more and be even better at than the one I'm in right now.

I majored in Communication Studies at Clemson. Anyone else out there have an incredibly broad major or one that didn't teach you specific trades? Well, I loved my major and if you know me I should definitely be in a major that emphasizes communications but it certainly was a challenge when honing in on a specific career path. My third year I found public relations and took all three of the classes Clemson offered in it, did two PR position internships and wala! I was hooked-found something I loved and was good at. I made up my mind that was what I was going to do. I followed that path, which led me here to Atlanta doing a marketing position (many marketing and PR skills and duties overlap) at an agency. Unfortunately, the actual work content wasn't what I had a passion for. It really got me identifying what I love in a career:

  • Passion.  
  • Guidance.  Someone to hold my hand the first couple steps of a project then leave me alone for the rest of the day and see what I've got.
  • Structure. I like to know specific objectives for that day/week/month
  • Give and take.
  • Interacting.
  • Self satisfaction. I'm a hard worker, sometimes to a fault, but I don't mind working hard as long as I feel a sense of joy from the finished product
  • Strategizing
  • A chance to make a difference. I want truly inspire and affect the ones I work for and with.
  • Writing.
  • Using creativity.

I start my new job on Tuesday and am so excited because I feel it will be one that will have all of these qualities!  Although I know I'm going to love my career, in another life I think these careers would suit me well too :)

I've always wanted to choreograph dances, teach kids and choreograph routines.

Also contemplated med school for a while.  My mom is a dermatologist and I have loved being her nurse's assistant throughout college.

I am obsessed with interior design.  Who am I kidding a job where I could pick out curtains and furniture for spaces all day long?  Dream come true.

Photographer.  Need I say more?


Resorts manager.  I love everything about hospitatlity in my day-to-day life.  Why not turn it into a career?

What careers would you try if you had a second, third chance?

2 comments:

  1. i love this post! it reminds me to never stop dreaming.

    if given a 'do-over' i would be a guidance counselor in high school or a psychiatrist.

    the next job i am looking forward to is becoming a mommy...i hope to be pregnant one day soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck starting your new job this week!
    And I graduate in December so this post totally relates to me because I have been thinking about MONTHS what I want to do with the rest of my life... a career. And I'm still up in the air about it which is scary but kind of exciting! I can do anything I want. (As long as there's a job close to home! lol) Random jobs I would love: chef, a traveling interpreter, speech therapist, and the owner of a little shop. :)

    ReplyDelete